Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Nursery Part 1

Baby girls nursery is almost done.  Picking out a color scheme was the easiest part.  I worked around the buffalo check bedskirt that was already in the room, and then of course added touches of green:) The oil painting was from an antique mall that I purchased a few months ago.


 

I've been hoarding at least 10 yards of this beautiful green and white stripe upholstery fabric in my stash for quite sometime, and then it finally dawned on me to use it for drapes.

I designed a soft scalloped border in chambray blue to accent each panel, and love how they turned out.

 

 I know the bed looks very bare without pillows. I am doing white monogrammed shams, but we still have no idea what we are naming baby girl, so those are on hold. An old silver tray that I hung brings a little girly flair to the room.



 Parallel to the bed is her crib. A white organic crib sheet is on order, and I opted to not do a bumper. I wanted her crib to be very simple and clean.  So simple that I took an old quilt and am using it as the crib skirt.  Done and done. She has a ton of blankets that were mine as a baby that will fill her crib with lots of love, which you can read about in this post.





My baptism dress hangs on a little nail.  


 And my one and only d.i.y project was wrapping the hanger with twine.




 I had a table skirt made in burlap, with a chambray blue piping to match her drapes. There is a slit in the middle for easy access to the baskets underneath. 
  
I did not want to go overboard and buy accessories just for decoration or for staging purposes.  I like to fill a space overtime with keepsakes that mean something to our little baby girl. Harper's room is full of keepsakes from birthdays and his baptism etc, and before I know it, I'm sure her room will unfold the same way. And of course, once we decide on a name, it'll be monogram central up in here!

The two blue and white ginger jar lamps were Christmas gifts from dear friends a few years ago.  The little scale was from a friends garage sale, and I filled the glass jar with blocks, but I'm sure that will be replaced with hair bows once she gets older.
 


That's all for now folks! Part 2 will include her monogrammed bedding, gifts from her showers, and I can see bookshelves in the future as well. I'm working on Harper's birthday post soon, so stay tuned!

34 comments:

  1. Um...wow!!! I love it!! You are so talented in the design and DIY department!!!! Absolutely loving the nursery curtains with the scalloped edge as well as Harper's!! I really want to do something like that in my boys rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is absolutely perfect! The curtains are my favorite with the scalloped trim detail. Aahh! Love the colors/textures. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely, lovely job. great little french-style piece with wire. everything is so full of personality and doesn't look too stuffy and "decorated." your little gal will love it...donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOve love love the burlap and blue already pinned it.
    Could you tell me how you monogram the lampshades? Iron on or do you do it on a machine? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pinkgiraffe.net is where i get my monogrammed shades from:)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info headed to that site right now.

      Delete
  5. it's perfect, grace!! i adore the curtains and the quilt as a bumper and your sweet baptism gown, but what i love most is what isn't there. that you let the room and accessories evolve over time, that the things on display will have meaning. i feel the same about my boys' rooms. however, andrew's might have evolved a little too much at this point. i might need to scale back on the nine years worth of keepsakes. all the best to you as you welcome your little gal into the family. i'll be thinking of you + keeping you in my prayers!! xo, tessa
    ps. your showers were lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much tessa!! i need all the prayers i can get! xoxo

      Delete
  6. this is AMAZING!!!! i am in L-O-V-E with the bedskirt!! I can't wait to use that some day [hopefully soon :)))]

    ReplyDelete
  7. If my jaw hadn't gaped enough at those beautiful curtains, then you go and show that amazing bed skirt!To say I adore this room would be an understatement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your curtains in every room of your house! I love how you add fabric to both the bottom and side edges. What a cute room :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the "crib skirt"...very original! Love how it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Great scalloped edge on the curtains! Oh little girls ( I have two boys...ha! )! How fun!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO pretty! Love the curtains, burlap skirk, and most of all the crib skirt!! What a sweet, sweet room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a sweet and precious room! Q regarding the burlap. I bought some and I am dying to do something with it, but it seems to "shed," know what I mean? are there different types? m/b i bought the wrong one?? off to check out part 2. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi alicia. all burlap sheds that i've ever purchased unfortunately, so i don't think you bought the wrong kind. sometimes it helps to give it a few good shakes outside to clean it a little:)

      Delete
  13. Hi. Have to know where you found that buffalo check on the bed. I have been searching for a duvet cover in the same pattern for my little boys room. Was it custom? So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i collect fabric, and this was one i had saved from a discount fabric store that is now closed. i bought the entire bolt. here is a great selection from Calico though...
      http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/beige+and+tan/buffalo+check+biscuit.do?search=basic&keyword=buffalo+check&sortby=priceAscend&page=1

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I just adore it!

      Delete
  14. Just lovely, really. Do you know what color the bed is painted? I think the best part about your home is the natural sunlight. So lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The bed is painted waynesboro taupe by Benjamin Moore:)

      Delete
  15. The crib skirt is beautiful! What a wonderful idea! My granny used to make quilts and made on for each of her fourteen grandchildren. Quilts are such a wonderfully American thing:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I stumbled upon your blog via pinterest last night! I saw the scalloped curtains and the fabrics reminded me of some things I've sewn. The green(apple)/white stripe I bought a TON of was a Ralph Lauren. I put it with blue chambray, browns and some florals. I went through many of your posts and laughed because my all time favorite bag is the black Longchamp! Love it. My husband would love to pack our bags and move to Cali tomorrow. I am hesitant in leaving my midwestern roots, but the beach, Waldorf education :) and flair seem quite appealing. I loved reading/seeing your story. Oh, and one more thing, I have been following Holly Mathis and Darby/Erika for awhile now too. Keep on making and designing beautiful things. You have quite the talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So precious and filled with lovely little details. I'd love to know if the green stripe fabric is Roth and Tompkins Essex Fabric, and if so, which color way—the Kiwi, Green, Grass, or Fern? (That is, if you know!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So lovely and filled with precious little details! I'm wondering if you know if the green striped fabric is the Roth and Tompkins Essex fabric, and if so, what colorway it is—the Kiwi, Green, Grass, or Fern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi courtney...i have no idea who makes the fabric, but after looking at the roth and tompkins colorways i'd say kiwi is the closest. hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I think I'll order samples of them. We have an old house with a seafoamish-green tile fireplace (from 1908), and it's hard to match fabrics to it!

      Delete
  19. This is incredibly cute. I love the silver plate and the baptism dress hanging on the walls. There is something so special about mixing old with new. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You always get the details perfect! The ginger jar lamps look great - much better proportioned in here than in the master - I think they were in the master at one point? And those curtains! And that burlap table skirt! I gasped. Perfection. Amazing how your dressmaker-like touches elevate things like curtains, table skirts, pillows etc.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so happy that you found my blog cuz it led me to yours, which......is beautiful! I love that burlap and chambray skirt. I may be able to make a slipcover but don't know how to pipe yet. It looks awesome. And yes, I can use that word because I am from the valley in southern Cal. I hope you are loving it there. I miss it. Excited to follow you. Thanks for the kind words about my chairs.

    MC

    ReplyDelete
  22. PS also love the blue and green curtains. That is my favorite color combo, other than white and white :), and I am a sucker for anything scalloped. That looks hard to make to me. Great job!

    MC

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow. I have one of these images on my Pinterest boards right now, but had no idea where it came from. When I was scrolling through your blog today and saw it, I was so happy! I LOVE this room :) Amazing, amazing job and what a perfect space for your little girl to grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just stumbled upon your darling blog and I'm just smitten with everything about this precious room... THAT SCALLOP TRIM needs to be in my life ASAP, ha! How did you do it? I don't think I'm remotely savvy enough, but I'm wondering if I could find a willing seamstress to help me duplicate the idea for my daughter's nursery? It's so sweet. Just love her space!!

    ReplyDelete